The prison at Bergenhus Fort and Castle was commonly known as the Slave Prison. The convicts of particularly hard crimes were kept here. The prison opened in 1739, and offered board and lodging to people who had been a bit careless about the laws of society. The last slaves left the prison in 1878.
The Cathedral of Bergen in has existed nearly 900 years. The church was dedicated to the Norwegian saint Olav around 1150. Since then it has burnt five times and was even hit by a cannonball in 1665. The cannonball is still firmly stuck in the church tower to remind us of a time with battles in the bay.
The history of the Rosenkrantz Tower dates back to around 1270. The tower grew taller and taller over the centuries, to send warnings of fear to uninvited military guests and to make a political statement towards the Hanseatic League. The view from the tower is amazing. From the rooftop one can see the whole town, the harbour, the coastline and the islands off the coast of Bergen. In the basement of the Rosenkrantz Tower there is a dungeon. The people kept there did not have much else in view than torture or execution.
Doctor Wiesener’s public bath house opened September 7. 1889, the year after the death of medical doctor Joachim Wiesener. The bath house was erected in grateful memory to the doctors professional work and for his valuable contributions to the community. Locally initiated, the bath house was erected for the benefit of "the less fortunate" as well as in fond memory of the good doctor. Today the building is home to a pub that promotes neighbourly friendship.
People who suffer from psychological diseases have always been “taken care of”. But what kind of care have the ill people received? In the early 19th century it was believed that the opportunity to take walks in a beautiful garden could be of some help to the ill. In 1815 the hospital purchased an ajacent meadow, and Bergen Mental Hospital was newly built with gardens in 1833.
The Bedlam was a public nursing institution for mentally ill people. The Bedlam, which was started in 1762, was probably a place for the keeping rather than the nursing of the ill. Either way it was an improvement to the care offered to the mentally ill in the past – the basement under the Town Hall, right next to the prison.
St Jørgen’s Hospital was a leprosy hospital with a history that goes back to the Middle Ages. The hospital was most likely originally built by the nearby Nonneseter Convent. The hospital received testamentary gifts in 1411, but we do not know how much older the hospital might be. The last two patients at St Jørgen’s Hospital both died in 1946, after which it ceased to exist as a health institution. Today's buildings date back to the 18th century, and is administred by the Bergen City Museum.