Manufakturhuset (the Manufactory House) has been used in a variety of ways, such as an orphanage, a school, a House of Correction, a church and public offices. The first Manufactory House was built in 1646, but it burnt down in 1702. It was soon rebuilt, but was not taken into proper use until 1743, when the king demanded an end to disorder, theft and other difficulties caused by the beggars in the streets of Bergen. The Manufactory House was restored in 1990.
Ladegårdsgaten 19 was built in 1853. The house started out as a school, Stølen School. Later on it has been used as a maritime school, a fire station and a police station. Today the house is privately owned.
Nordnes School opened its doors for the first time on 17 August 1903. 1800 pupils in 52 classes started school that day. The school’s first headmaster, Rasmus Hille and his pupils filled the school both in the mornings and in the afternoons. A hundred years later some 250 pupils fight for room in the same school.
Childbirth has always been associated with danger for the life and health for both mother and child. A number of complications may arise in the process. When the combined midwife school and birth clinic was established in Bergen in 1861, the vast majority of children were born at home, with family and friends to help them into the world.
The Grammar School has had different locations over time – but always in connection with the Cathedral of Bergen. It began as a clerical school, but is today a modern gymnasium. The old school house for the Grammar School is today a museum of education.
The school building next to the funicular station in Øvregaten has been in constant use as an elementary school for over 260 years. Established in 1739, the building is as old as compulsory schooling in Norway, and raised to give the poorest their basic knowledge.
Children have come to school at Stølen and Krohnengen for 150 years. Around 1853 the children started to attend Stølen School. Krohnengen School was ready to accept children in 1880, as the first of a number of big, modern public schools in Bergen. In 1883 1360 children in 39 classes went to Krohnengen Public School. In 2004, 350 boys and girls fight for room in 15 classes.
Ulrike Eleonora Pihl returned from England in 1863, where she had received her pedagogical training. She started to work as a governess with a family in Western Norway, but came back to Bergen in 1865. In April that same year she advertised in the local paper for pupils for her institute for girls.
The pupils at Betlehem School wore simple school uniforms, and the school was nicknamed after the clothes’ colour on the collar. It was called the Green School, and some of the parents preferred to pay day by day fines, rather than sending their children to school! Why would they do that?
For boys wanting an education at university, the Grammar School was for centuries the only school offering this opportunity. Still based on a curriculum from the Middle Ages, the Grammar School needed educational reforms by the middle of the 18th century. A new school building was erected on the other side of the Cathedral as a boarding school for pupils in need of an education based on more modern and practical subjects.