The Foundation for Care for Lepers No.1 and the Lungegård Hospit
Body and health
When the Foundation for Care for Lepers No.1 was taken into use in 1857, it was the third big hospital for lepers in Bergen. The first was St. Jørgen’s Hospital, which is originally from the early fifteenth century. The second was a research hospital – the Lungegård Hospital – which was built in 1849. The Foundation for Care for Lepers was situated just across the Lungegård Hospital, and a couple of hundred meters from St. Jørgen.